Monday, February 18, 2013

Others Who Understand

I read a book in less than twenty-four hours during our weekend in Stowe. It was a book about a couple who's first child, a son, was stillborn. The mother is the author, and her experience and reaction to her son's death really resonated with me. Her story is so similar to mine. I had heard of the book several times over the last few months, but was not ready to read it until now. It turned out to be more cathartic than painful for me to read. It is somehow comforting to know that there are other people out there who are dealing with the same hurt. The book is called An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination, by Elizabeth McCracken.

"...the happiest story in the world with the saddest ending"

This weekend, I stumbled across another work by someone who understands what it is like to lose a child. While Taison and I were on our way to go bowling with friends on Saturday night, a story came on NPR that almost brought both of us to tears. It was the story of a man's experience losing his young daughter to cancer. It was unique because it was from a father's perspective. I haven't come across many accounts that are so honest. I am so grateful that this man, Anthony Griffith, shared his story, and I hope it was healing for him to do so. Click here if you would like to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment