Saturday, January 31, 2015

Kitchen Adventures: Bear Cookies

It's a good thing I like to cook and think about food, because the bear's allergies require both of these interests. The short list of food allergies according to skin tests last November: sesame, peanuts, eggs, milk and wheat. Luckily, one of his (and his daddy's) favorite meals is chili. Lots of protein (I usually use beef and beans) and veggies, and easy to make a big pot and freeze portions to send for lunches at daycare. Breakfast for the bear has been more of a challenge, though. So, I decided to modify a couple of breakfast cookie recipes I found online. After a couple of trials, success! A breakfast cookie that the bear actually gets excited about. I think they're pretty tasty, too, but I limit myself to one per batch. After all, I have LOTS of options for cookies and breakfast foods that I can eat, unlike the bear.

Bear Cookies (aka Molasses-Oat Breakfast Cookies)
Yield: 12 cookies


2 c rolled oats
1 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1 t ginger
pinch each of nutmeg and cloves
pinch salt
1 c pumpkin puree
2 T brown sugar
2 T olive oil
1/4 c molasses
1 t vanilla

Using a food processor, grind oats into a fine powder. Stir together oats, baking powder, spices and salt. Combine remaining ingredients and add to dry ingredients. Stir to combine, then drop onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly form into rounds and flatten slightly (they won't spread as they cook). Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway. Cool, then find a hungry allergy-bear and a bib : )


No comments:

Post a Comment