Saturday, December 8, 2012

Christmasness

I have little to no Christmas spirit this year. I don't want a tree, I don't want to bake cookies, I don't want to buy any presents. I was semi-dreading singing in the Holiday Pops concerts I was assigned to. The first two were today (well, yesterday). I was able to fake cheeriness, and actually realized that being onstage behind the orchestra is a nice place to hang out. When I'm onstage, I can pretty much ignore the fact that a couple thousand people are looking at me (or in my general direction), and just enjoy an hour or two in which my only responsibility is to sing. I don't have to make small talk with anyone or be alone with my thoughts. I just have to look pleasant and breathe and count notes. It's kind of a nice break from real life. I think I even caught myself genuinely smiling a few times.

Two other holiday season activities have made me smile. (Okay, so maybe I do have a little Christmas spirit.) First was seeing the Nutcracker. I only went to uphold our annual tradition, but I ended up truly enjoying the performance. Second was hanging our stockings. I'm so glad we got one for Julian.

"A stocking for an angel"

No comments:

Post a Comment