Monday, September 23, 2013

Vermont Weekend

We spent last weekend in Woodstock, VT at a B&B on a small farm. We had a great time and learned a few things about farming from our hosts.

 I didn't realize how curious chickens are. This one (and some of her friends) just had to investigate the freshly-cut hay that had just been stacked in the farm truck.

Morning view of the hayfield from our room.

Taison helping out in a sheep-shearing demonstration...

...and again when a few bales of hay needed to be moved.

Nosy chickens again-this time looking for goodies in the garden.

I did some Saturday afternoon yoga in this barn on the property-it was quiet with a nice flat wood floor and a fabulous view.

Taison peeking into the chicken coop

Sugar maples on the property. We ate syrup from these trees on our Sunday morning waffles!

Big red barn on the property. It's almost 100 years old and was originally used for dairy cows.

Early fall views from the hills behind the farm

Yesterday was the 22nd, the first day of fall and 14 months since Julian was born. Something about realizing that last night made for a tearful bedtime for me. Maybe because it was the first time in a while that the 22nd fell on a Sunday. Maybe because I had spent most of the weekend thinking optimistically about the future and focused on baby and what he was up to. In any case, I felt the sense of loss more keenly than usual last night. It was such a stark contrast to how happy I had been the rest of the weekend. I'm grateful that I can be happy and enjoy things, but it can be jarring when those moments of grief return. This is my life now, though, and all I can do is embrace it, both the sweet and the sorrowful parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment